Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Old Letter from 1870

December 17, 1870


Bremen Fairfield Co.

Dear John Lutz,

Glad to hear from you and (Phope)? When this letter reaches it’s destined front it may find you well. I have not been very well a few days in my belly at this time. Mother has been as well as common all fall but today she took a sick spell so she is not so well today. As regarding taking care of her, I will do that while I live and if I don’t get one cent. Of the children think that I should have something for taking care of her all is well it is not money that I am after but I have some respect for my mother and while here she shall not suffer. Some of the children is talking largely about her staying with me and I gave Noah the chance to keep her but he refused. Mother says that she wants to stay with me while she lives and she shall be cared for while she stays with me.

As regards her being troublesome, she is but all old folks will get troublesome. ____? take delight in taking care of her from the fact that she took care of you and Pop the rest of the children for a long time and now we should return the compliment.

I am sorry that when you were in that I knew nothing of the arrangement about hiring a girl to take care of mother. I knew nothing about that till of late. Perhaps the feelings amongst the children would be better if I had of knowing anything about it. As for the names of those who are medelling the one is friend (Sherburn?)and the other is Noah Lutz was not very clear. If you possibly can come in (to so and?) don’t reply for if you put it off to long you may not see her alive. Come as soon as you can. I have written this in the best of feeling towards you and all the respect.

Write soon as you can.

Jacob Lutz



(This letter’s hand writing was very hard for me to transcribe…I did the best I could)

Their mother Louisa Leas did die May 1871, not long after the letter
(These are the sons of John D. Lutz and Louisa Leas)

No comments:

Post a Comment

email