Monday, February 22, 2010

Old Letter from 1856

This letter and the letter above were sent to me from a distant Lutz cousin named Timothy Lutz.  He gave me copies of 2 letters in the Breman OH museum.  They are Lutz letters.  This one that I transcribed is from Noah Lutz to his brother John Lutz.  They are the sons of John D. Lutz and Louisa Leas.  In the letter I wrote it just how it is written.
1856


Dear Brother,

I received your letter on new years day and was glad to hear from you and to hear that you were well satisfied. Further I will tell you that we are all well and hoping that those few lines will find you all enjoying the same blessing of health and prosperity.

Further I will tell you that I have plenty of work and am making it pay tolerable well. I made that sleid and sold it for 7 dollars cash and have three more to make. I have bought that house and lot of Bany that D. Hoilliard lived in one year and am paid 500 dollars for it now, but I want a woman if I can get one. I came near getting married last week, I asked a girl to marry and she swore she would not have me and I thought that I was doing very well for the first time on Christmas. I took my small ? to Zanesville and had a fine time.

We had a dull new year in Bremen. The railroad and thunder and lightning telligraph is finished to Zanesville.

I can not come out to see you till March for Blosser is going to go to Indianid, she 15 and will stay 4 weeks, but I will come in March and so I can git a house and lot in some town, I will come there next fall and make wagons for you.

I can not tell you any news from Fairfield now, for things are as they use to be there, no change. Wheat has come down and that is a god’s blessing.

Our protracted meeting will commence to ? and I suppose will have a fine time, my ink froze for it is very cold today. Tell ? that I will bring her a present when I come.

No more at present, remaining your friend write soon as you git this and will write more the next time it is not cold. Now remember me.

Write soon

From Noah Lutz

To John Lutz – Breman Ohio



(Noah married Elizabeth Wright in 19 Jun 1856)

No comments:

Post a Comment

email